WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR VISIT:
Please try to be respectful of other patients, time spent with them is based on problem complexity and acuity, which does not always fit in a rigid time schedule. Dr. Boyd and Debbie Sherman, PA-C will spend appropriate time to complete a thorough history and physical examination as well as a review of studies and/or x-rays obtained in our office. A diagnosis and treatment plan will be discussed and implemented in coordination with our staff and other providers if coordination of care is necessary. Therefore, with this level of care, we can get behind on our schedule.
A copy of our office visit, once transcribed, can be made available for review. We want to spend time face to face time with our patients, therefore we do not use EMR (electronic medical records system).
Please limit distractions such as cell phones and young children in exam room at time of exam if at all possible.
PREPARE FOR YOUR VISIT:
- New patient paperwork printed from our website, 4 forms total along with a current copy of your insurance card and picture ID.
- Copays are due at the time of the appointment. Ensure that your insurance is in network.
- New patients and returning patients that are required to update; click on Patient Forms Link and complete the paperwork prior to your appointment. Please bring the original copy to the appointment. Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment time.
- MRI Disc with results and/or x-rays from other treating providers.
- We can access all current imaging from New Hanover Regional Medical Center Emergency Department, ED North, Cape Fear (NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital) thru the EMR Epic system.
- We do not have access to any imaging from Wilmington Heath, Emerge Orthopedics (previously OrthoWilmington) or any other local providers or surrounding area providers.
- Military/Naval Hospital, we will need the imaging disc along with printed report.
- If you have had prior surgery, operative notes and/or video prints are very helpful.
- Running shoes, present and old, if you are a runner as well as any orthotic worn.
- Chronological list of treatment is helpful if your problem is complex or you have had multiple providers, include dates and locations.
- Appropriate exam clothes. If a lower extremity problem (from hip to ankle) wear or bring a pair of gym shorts without buttons, zippers or snaps (mid thigh for males). For a neck or shoulder problem, females bring or wear a spaghetti strap tank top (cami) or racer back tank (see illustrations).
- Please silence your cell phone while in exam room.
- If you are under 18, you will need a parent or guardian present unless consent for treatment of minor child (click here for form >>) is signed.
BILLING AND INSURANCE INFORMATION:
For your convenience, Cape Fear Sports Medicine participates in most major insurance company. We do, however, recommend that you check with your insurance company prior to making an appointment to determine if your visit will be covered.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (except for Blue Value and Blue Medicare)
FEES AND PAYMENTS:
Cape Fear Sports Medicine will gladly file your insurance. Unless prior arrangements have been made, your payment is due at the time of service. We accept cash, checks, Mastercard and Visa.
PRESCRIPTIONS AND RENEWALS:
Please request all prescriptions and prescription refills during our business hours between 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday thru Friday, when we have access to your medical records. Please keep in mind holidays and weekends and plan accordingly. Narcotic prescriptions cannot be filled after hours.
To expedite your first appointment or to update your patient file (must be done yearly), please complete Patient Information, Medical History, HIPPA Consent Form and Financial Policy. Please print the forms and bring them to your appointment. You also may fax the completed forms to 910-791-1063.
For your convenience, you may pay your bill securely online. You will need your Document ID located on your patient statement.
If you have an appointment during inclement weather, closings and delays will be announced on our Facebook page, website, WWAY and WECT and with our call center.